The "Institute for Biomedical Research Georg-Speyer-Haus" is a private foundation. It was established in 1906 in Frankfurt to provide a research laboratory for Paul Ehrlich,
its first director. The constitution of the Foundation defines its purpose as scientific research in the field of chemotherapy (drug action and related areas which serve the
progress of biomedicine). The Foundation is exclusively engaged in non-profit work with benefit for the public.
Prof. Dr. Winfried Wels serves currently as the acting head of the institute. He reports to the Board of Directors of the Foundation. The Georg-Speyer-Haus is associated through a cooperation agreement with the Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt. This agreement provides the basis for the collaboration between the University and the Georg-Speyer-Haus in the areas of tumor biology and research on infectious diseases.