The private foundation “Chemotherapeutisches Forschungsinstitut Georg-Speyer-Haus” was established in 1904 in order to provide a research institute for Paul Ehrlich, its first director. The constitution of the institute, originating from its foundation, defines its purpose as an establishment for scientific research in the field of chemotherapy and related sciences. It is an independent institution under public law which is exclusively engaged in non-profit work.
The Institute for Tumor Biology and Experimental Therapy is part of the charitable foundation Georg-Speyer-Haus and headed by Prof. Dr. med. Florian Greten as its Director. Prof. Greten is also member of the Executive Board of the Foundation, which in addition includes the Deputy Director Prof. Dr. Winfried Wels and Franziska Hasslinger-Pajtler, Head of Administration. The Executive Board reports to the Board of Trustees of the Foundation. The close cooperation between Georg-Speyer-Haus and Goethe University Frankfurt is defined in a cooperation agreement between the institutions. Financial support for the Georg-Speyer-Haus is provided by the State Ministry of Higher Education, Research and the Arts of the State of Hessen and the Federal Ministry of Health.